"Tutu" Cute!




A couple of months ago I asked Liberty what she wanted to be for Halloween. She thought about it for a second, and then replied, "A kitty-cat!" (That's what she was last year.) I told her, "Well, you can be a cat, or you can pick something different than last year, like a princess or ballerina..." She laughed and said, "Princesses don't belong to Halloween!!!" She thought costumes had to be typical Halloween objects, like black cats, ghosts, etc. A few weeks later I bought her some butterfly wings at the dollar store to play dress-up with. That was when she decided she wanted to be a butterfly for Halloween. One cute, pink, sparkly tutu later, she became a "dancing butterfly." Making a tutu is easy. I bought a few rolls of tule at Hobby Lobby already cut in 6- inch widths. I then cut approx. 24 inch pieces and folded them in half. I got a strip of elastic wide enough for Liberty's waist and tied knots with the tule around it. I did two tones of pink for a little contrast. For her antennae I curled pipe cleaners with a pencil and hand-sewed the pon-pons on top. I wrapped the end of the pipe cleaners onto a headband, and they stayed really well. I found the perfect sparkly pink shoes at Target. My mom had some ladybug wings from the dollar store, so Hadley got to be the cute ladybug. I used red tule for her tutu, and tied knots around ribbon instead of elastic. I've found it's easier to put tutu on babies when you just have to tie the ribbon in the back. I hand-sewed on big black pon-pons under the first layer of tule for the spots. I liked that they were subtle spots. I did the same thing as with Liberty's for her antennae, but put it on a baby headband. Hadley's to-die-for red shoes I found at Old Navy. It was nearly impossible to get a decent picture with an (almost) 1-year-old and (almost) 3-year-old.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I didn't know this was your blog! I couldn't remember how I got linked to it ... maybe it was from you! I'm confused, though, who's kids are in the pic below? :)
    CUTE tutus!

    ReplyDelete